In this news report from Portland, Oregon’s KATU, friend of the blog, Todd Wynn of the Cascade Policy Institute reveals some of the inconvenient truths about wind power. In fact Wynn says a Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) official candidly admitted to him that wind farms actually create more CO2 emissions. Huh? The reporter explains:
Wynn says a BPA staffer admitted to his think tank that wind does not reduce carbon emissions saying, quote:
“No. They’re in fact, creating emissions.”
That’s because when wind blows, the dam or fossil fuel back-up doesn’t shut down – it takes too long to start up. Think of it like this: When you are stopped at a red light, you don’t turn off the car, you just put your foot on the brake. Even though you’re stopped, that engine is still running, and just like your car, this spinning reserve mode, as it’s called, consumes energy.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Video: DeSmogBlogger Chris Mooney admits, “You have the rise of the blogosphere, where global warming denial is actually running rampant, and I think it’s totally got us whupped”
- Let’s all walk, bike, swim, or paddle to Peru since Al Gore has pronounced his admiration for ‘the growing eco-tourism that is flourishing in Peru’
- The solution to Al Gore’s troubles? Karma Offsets!
- Vast right-wing conspiracy? ‘There are a team of paid professionals who have spent the last 15 years sowing confusion and doubt about this…and they’ve been incredibly successful’
- Al Gore’s lack of credentials touted as ‘one of the arguments’ he should be nominated to SCOTUS. Why not? He’s no climate scientist either!