This story broke a few days ago, but here’s some video via Fox News:
The Wall Street Journal noted that not only is Al Gore a partner in the Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers venture capital firm that is a top investor in Fisker, but Gore is also one of the first people in line to receive delivery of one of these $89,000 hybrid sports cars:
The Karma will target an exclusive audience — Gore was one of the first to sign up for one. Mr. Fisker says all new technology starts out being expensive. He pointed to flat-screen televisions that once started at $25,000 but are now affordable to the mass market.
The four-door Karma, powered by a lithium-ion battery, will be able to run solely on electric power for 50 miles, and will achieve an average fuel economy of 100 mpg over the span of a year, the company says. Production is scheduled to start in December, with about 15,000 vehicles a year expected to hit the U.S. market starting next June.
Many of the 1,500 people who have made deposits on the Karma are former BMW and Mercedes owners who want an environmentally friendly car without sacrificing luxury, Mr. Fisker said.
He said he pitched the Karma to Mr. Gore at an event hosted by KPCB last year, and that the former vice president almost immediately submitted a down payment for the car.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Al Gore-backed (and US government-backed) Fisker Automotive delivers $100,000 plug-in hybrid lemon to Consumer Reports; inexplicably broke down after 180 miles of testing
- Video: DeSmogBlogger Chris Mooney admits, “You have the rise of the blogosphere, where global warming denial is actually running rampant, and I think it’s totally got us whupped”
- Al Gore / AIT Index, Vol. 23: Global temperatures have plunged .56°F since An Inconvenient Truth was released
- Let’s all walk, bike, swim, or paddle to Peru since Al Gore has pronounced his admiration for ‘the growing eco-tourism that is flourishing in Peru’
- Global Warming Hoax Weekly Round-Up, July 15 2010