Nothing definitive from Penn State, but my take is that if they were going to sweep Michael Mann’s role in Climategate under the rug, they wouldn’t bother with continuing the investigation.
University Park, Pa. — An internal inquiry by Penn State into the research and scholarly activities of a well-known climate scientist will move into the investigatory stage, which is the next step in the University’s process for reviewing research conduct.
A University committee has concluded its inquiry into allegations of research impropriety that were leveled in November against Professor Michael Mann, after information contained in a collection of stolen e-mails was revealed. More than a thousand e-mails are reported to have been “hacked” from computer servers at the Climatic Research Unit of the University of East Anglia in England, one of the main repositories of information about climate change.
During the inquiry, all relevant e-mails pertaining to Mann or his work were reviewed, as well as related journal articles, reports and additional information. The committee followed a well-established University policy during the inquiry (http://guru.psu.edu/policies/ra10.html ).
In looking at four possible allegations of research misconduct, the committee determined that further investigation is warranted for one of those allegations. The recommended investigation will focus on determining if Mann “engaged in, directly or indirectly, any actions that seriously deviated from accepted practices within the academic community for proposing, conducting or reporting research or other scholarly activities.” A full report (http://www.research.psu.edu/orp) concerning the allegations and the findings of the inquiry committee has been submitted.
Hat tip: Matt Dempsey
Possibly Related Posts:
- Michael Mann, inventor of the global warming Hockey Stick, to give free lecture in Oregon tonight
- Can’t take a joke: Michael Mann, key Climategate figure and inventor of the Hockey Stick, threatens lawsuit over satirical YouTube video ‘Hide the Decline’
- Exposed: The global warming campaign enters its Emperor’s new-clothes phase
- Green blogger asks, “Is the environmental movement screwed?”
- First Climategate book released! ‘Climategate: The CRUtape Letters’ co-authored by Steven Mosher who was first to recognize the game-changing importance of FOIA.zip