Peter Hadfield (Potholer54 on YouTube) is a warmer who wisely says that exaggerating the consequences of climate change “is not the way to gain public understanding or trust”. Hadfield also claims to have an amazing power: Converting AGW skeptics to warmers:
…two years ago I began a series of videos on YouTube to explain the science, and rebut urban myths that spin round the internet and end up on the opinion pages of the Daily Express and the Wall Street Journal. The result has been astonishing. My channel, Potholer54, now has over 27,000 subscribers. The videos have been mirrored by others all over the internet, and several university lecturers have asked if they can use it in their environmental science classes. Most importantly, former sceptics tell me the videos have changed their minds about the reality of climate change.
Well, I watched a few, and I remain unconvinced. Yes, Hadfield does thankfully avoid alarming imagined scenarios to scare his audience to death, but his arguments are mostly the same, tired, warmed-over trope that we’re all used to. For example, he spins the Climategate e-mails without noting the context, i.e. that the majority of them deal with the at-any-costs conspiracy to publish the Wahl and Ammann paper to prop up the Hockey Stick that was killed by the McIntyre and McKitrick paper so that W & A can be included in IPCC AR4 (read: Tom Fuller and Steve Mosher’s, Climategate: The CRUtape Letters).
But, let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. Let’s give Hadfield some credit for basically calling Al Gore a liar:
That success, however, comes at a price. It means looking at the science – not scary and unrealistic images of submerged cities. It means accepting the fact that Al Gore is not always right, and he should not be defended when he’s wrong.
Hat tip: Climate Depot
Possibly Related Posts:
- Al Gore-backed (and US government-backed) Fisker Automotive delivers $100,000 plug-in hybrid lemon to Consumer Reports; inexplicably broke down after 180 miles of testing
- Al Gore / AIT Index, Vol. 23: Global temperatures have plunged .56°F since An Inconvenient Truth was released
- BREAKING: Scientific analysis finds Great Pacific Garbage Patch NOT the size of Texas, ‘greatly exaggerated…plastic patch is actually less than 1 percent of the geographic size of Texas’
- Let’s all walk, bike, swim, or paddle to Peru since Al Gore has pronounced his admiration for ‘the growing eco-tourism that is flourishing in Peru’
- Global Warming Hoax Weekly Round-Up, July 15 2010