Lie #16: Severe tornadoes “more frequent”
Gore says that 2004 set an all-time record for tornadoes in the US. More tornadoes are being reported because detection systems are better than they were. But the number of severe tornadoes has been falling for more than 50 years.
The Climate Skeptic provides more background here, and says:
The whole history of the global warming causes tornadoes claim is one of grossly bad science, most famously including Al Gore’s claim in that movie of his. I debunked that claim here, demonstrating that the increase in measured tornadoes is a function solely of better measurement, not more tornadoes, something the NOAA has been careful to state as well.
See all 35 lies here.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Al Gore-backed (and US government-backed) Fisker Automotive delivers $100,000 plug-in hybrid lemon to Consumer Reports; inexplicably broke down after 180 miles of testing
- Al Gore / AIT Index, Vol. 23: Global temperatures have plunged .56°F since An Inconvenient Truth was released
- Let’s all walk, bike, swim, or paddle to Peru since Al Gore has pronounced his admiration for ‘the growing eco-tourism that is flourishing in Peru’
- Global Warming Hoax Weekly Round-Up, July 15 2010
- Global Warming Hoax Weekly Round-Up, July 8 2010